What is the plant-based diet?
The plant-based diet model focuses on foods primarily from plants. This eating pattern not only focuses on fruits and vegetables, but also nuts, seeds, oils, whole grains, legumes, and beans. Eating a plant-based diet does not mean that you are vegetarian or vegan and never eat meat or dairy. Rather, you have focus of eating more of your foods from plant sources. Some people interpret it as a vegan diet, that involves avoiding all animal products.
Other people think that a plant-based diet means that plant foods, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and legumes, are the main focus of their diet, but they may, occasionally, consume meat, fish, or dairy products. A plant-based diet also focuses on healthy whole foods, rather than processed foods.
Health Benefits Of A Plant-Based Diet
- People who are on plant-based diets tend to have lower rates of obesity, diabetes and heart disease than those who eat meat.
- Plant-based diets are high in fiber, contain complex carbohydrates, and water content from fruit and vegetables. This may help to keep people feeling fuller for longer and increase energy use when resting.
- Older adults who eat diets high in healthy plant foods and low in animal products may have a lower risk of heart disease.
- Plant-based diets can help people prevent or control diabetes by improving insulin sensitivity and reducing insulin resistance.
Tips For A Plant-Based Diet
- Eat plenty of colors in choosing your vegetables. Enjoy vegetables as a snack with hummus, salsa or guacamole.
- Choose good fats. Fats in olive oil, olives, nuts and nut butters, seeds, and avocados are healthy choices.
- Add whole grains in breakfast. Start your new day with oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, or barley. Then add some nuts or seeds along with fresh fruit.
- Eat a variety of green leafy vegetables such as kale, collards, Swiss chard, spinach, and other greens each day. Steam, grill, braise, or stir-fry to preserve their flavor and nutrients.
- Eat fruit for dessert. A juicy, juicy peach, a slice of fresh watermelon, or a crunchy apple will satisfy your sweet craving after a meal.
Inspiration For Plant-Based Eating Throughout The Day
Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Blueberry smoothie bowl with nuts and mint leaves
- Oatmeal porridge with chia seeds, mango and banana
- Strawberry spread
- Brown rice pudding with cinnamon, maple syrup and orange zest
- Quinoa porridge with berries, sunflower seeds and nuts
- Vegetable tacos with fresh vegetables and mashed avocado
- Fresh Greek salad with chickpeas and spinach
- Pumpkin curry with sunflower seeds
- Corn and beans stew
- Grill egg plants and tomatoes with pesto
- Baked fresh vegetables with lime juice
- Green vegetables with hummus
- Mix vegetable stew