If you asked me how to describe rice, I would say I just need three words: tasty, healthy and inexpensive. Can you think of a more practical and versatile dish?
You can combine rice with almost any other ingredient you may have at home. Vegetables, meat, fish, different sauces, nuts. You can prepare it hot or cold, in winter and in summer. You name it, rice matches it.
Apart from that, there are so many types of different rice. There’s a wide variety waiting for you to try them all!
Today, we are going to be talking about Jasmine rice.
Jasmine rice is also known as “fragrant rice” and was produced for the first time in Thailand in the 1950s. That’s the reason why it is a crucial ingredient of the Thai diet and it is one of the country’s biggest exports, too.
With its distinctive and exquisite aroma, this long grain rice is usually associated with popcorn by people from the Western culture.
Its name comes from the similarity it has with the jasmine flower concerning its color.
Jasmine rice is well known for its delicate texture and, what’s more, it is available as white and brown rice. You can check this link https://mahatmarice.com/recipes/easy-coconut-rice/ for more interesting information about Jasmine rice.
So far, it seems this rice has many upsides that can be mentioned. But the best one is its flavor. Jasmine rice is sweet and has a nutty flavor that makes it unique, so light and flavorful!
When it comes to being healthy, rice is one of the best candidates, we all know that, don’t we?
So, if you are, for example, a sporty person who loves exercising and is looking for a carbohydrates-based diet, here’s the perfect ingredient!
If you want your Jasmine rice to be perfect, you should follow these easy steps:
- For two servings, you will need one cup of rice. I know how difficult it can be to estimate the quantity of rice when cooking. Just add half a cup per person!
- Firstly, rinse the rice so that you can eliminate the excess of starch. Repeat this step until the water is clear.
- Then put the rice into a pan and cover it with 1 ½ cups of water. Cover it with a lid. Add a pinch of salt.
- After that, with the pan covered, bring the water to a boil and, once it’s boiled, reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Wait until the water has been absorbed.
- Finally, turn the heat off and wait for 10 or 15 minutes to remove the lid from the pan. Fluff the rice with a fork.
Doesn’t it seem easy? The best part is that it is actually as easy as it looks like! And, as I told you before, you can combine Jasmine rice with several types of food.
For two servings you are going to need:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- ½ an onion.
- ½ cup of uncooked Jasmine rice.
- ¾ cups of water.
- ¼ cup of chopped dried apples.
- ¼ cup of golden raisins.
- A pinch of salt.
- ¼ teaspoon of ground allspice.
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- ¼ teaspoon of dried thyme.
- A pinch of cayenne pepper.
- First of all, heat oil on medium heat in a pan. Chop the onion and saute it until it is tender. Add the rice and cook stirring until it browns a little bit.
- After that, stir in the rest of the ingredients and bring everything to a boil.
- Then, reduce the heat to low and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Finally, fluff with a fork.
Cook’s tip: serve warm.
If you have, I am sure you are as a fan as many people are. And if you haven’t, you will be. I know it!
Think of all the possibilities you have to combine this rice with other ingredients. Think of the different types of meals you can prepare. I’ve given you just two recipes, but you can be as creative as you want.
I’m going to assume everybody knows how to cook this practical dish, so let’s take it a little bit further.
I’m positive that, if you relish eating rice, you have a rice cooker. That’s why I’m going to teach you how to cook coconut rice using this kitchen appliance.
- 1 cup of Jasmine rice.
- ½ cup of coconut milk.
- 1 cup of water.
- A pinch of salt.
- 2 tablespoons of dry shredded coconut.
- To begin with, wash the rice to remove the starch.
- Then, add the Jasmine rice to the rice cooker together with the water, the coconut milk, the salt and the shredded coconut. Stir using a wooden or plastic spoon. Cover the rice cooker and set it to cook.
- When the appliance changes to “warm” mode, let the rice be cooked for 10 more minutes. This will make your dish pleasantly sticky and it will give it its unique texture.
- Finally, fluff the rice with a fork.
Quick tip: this delicious meal can be enjoyed as the first course or as a side dish. Serve with Thai, Indian or Chinese dishes. Bon appetit!
Honestly, I believe there are no excuses not to make these dishes. They are easy to prepare, inexpensive and, the best part, really versatile.
You can teach your children to cook these recipes if they are taking their first steps in the kitchen because they are extremely simple!
You can even surprise your soulmate with a romantic dinner: candles, wine, relaxing music and chill!
And your friends would be delighted to try one of your dishes. Plus, if there’s somebody who’s vegetarian or vegan, with Jasmine rice you can always adapt the meals for them.
It is as simple as trying. Head off to the kitchen and start creating your own dish with this versatile ingredient. You won’t regret it!