The best vertical pellet smoker gets you authentic and smoky meat flavors. Specially built, these cooking tools smoke and roast foods. When used, they leave your food with that lingering earthy and smoky taste. Thanks to their vertical design, you will find the heat source far away at the bottom. At the top of the smoker, you will find the ventilation system.
Due to this construction style, these smokers offer a superior cook and deep flavors. So below, we’ve compiled the list of the 5 top best vertical pellet smokers for this year. Take your pick of the best model so you can begin to enjoy finger-licking goodness on your food.
Top 5 Best Vertical Pellet Smokers
1. Weber Charcoal Smoker
The Weber brand makes high-quality kitchen and camping appliances. Thus, it comes with no surprise that the Weber Smokey Mountain smoker falls under this brand. For the best vertical pellet smoker to use with charcoal pellets, this is the ideal option. The pellet smoker boasts two grill layers to give adequate space of up to 286 square inches.
Furthermore, the smoker boasts an interior temperature of up to 190 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature rating enhances its versatility; allowing you to smoke different meat types. Using this pellet smoker, you can enjoy scrumptious fall of the bone meats, be it beef, pork, or chicken.
- 14-inch charcoal pellet smoker
- Plated steel dual cooking grates
- High tensile and rust-resistant steel legs
- Built-in lid thermometer
- Fits up to two racks of ribs
- The built-in lid thermometer allows you to easily track the temperature
- Integrated fuel door allows you to replenish it as you cook
- Offers two layers of cooking grates for increased capacity
- Available in 18-inch and 22-inch size
- Portable design makes it perfect for camping
- Not adequately sized for a large family
2. Dyna-Glo Vertical Pellet Smoker
The vertical design of the Dyna-Glo vertical pellet smoker is what makes the flavor of your food great. The design facilitates natural rising heat, increased efficiency, and better smoke flavor. Its offset design on the other end facilitates slower cooking. It does so by keeping direct heat away. Additionally, the smoker features a porcelain-enameled steel charcoal chamber.
The chamber accommodates as many tightly stacked briquettes for increased burn efficiency. The 20-inch vertical pellet smoker offers six generous height-adjustable cooking grates. With this design, you will enjoy a total of 784 square inches of smoking space. Furthermore, you will enjoy up to 1176 square inches of cooking space with a 25 lb. capacity per grate. So, if you have a large family or love to host, this is definitely the smoker for you.
- 20-inch size
- Built-in stainless steel thermometer with smoke zone indicator
- Charcoal and ash management system
- Six height-adjustable cooking grates
- Built for a large family or gathering
- Large charcoal and ash management to accommodate ashes for longer without compromising the cooking quality
- Designed with a smokestack which allows for adjustability so you can control flavor and temperature
- The smoke zone indicator on the thermometer shows when it’s ready to start smoking your meat
- The gauge is large enough to make it easy to read
- Removable charcoal chamber, grate, steel ash pan makes it easy to clean the smoker
- It is a little large and heavy which makes it unsuitable for offsite entertainment
3. Cuisinart COS-118 Charcoal Smoker
Built with two efficient air vents, the Cuisinart smoker helps control your cooking. You can choose to open or close the vents to manage the amount of heat and smoke that leaves the chamber. At the top, the vertical pellet smoker features a lid. The lid allows you easier access to the food during the cooking or smoking process.
Fitted with two tiers of steel smoking racks, the smoker offers a cooking space of up to 512 square inches. You can prepare any type of food you wish to – be it cheese, vegetable, fish, or meats. To quickly set up the smoker, all you need is 15 minutes and a screwdriver.
- 18-inch size
- Steel housing
- Porcelain enamel steel bowl with water holding capacity
- Durable steel housing
- Thanks to the dual vents you can control the heat and smoke amount that escapes the chamber
- Adequately sized ash catch pan survives an entire smoking process without needing to empty it
- Large cooking capacity for a small sized smoker
- The smoker is very easy to clean and maintain
- The steel construction makes it sturdy and durable
- No need to check the heat and temperature frequently
- The vents can be too hot to touch during the cooking or smoking process
4. Char-Broil Bullet Charcoal Smoker
The Char-Broil Bullet Charcoal smoker boasts an impressive airflow control system. The innovation airflow system makes temperature regulation and damper settings much easier. Furthermore, the charcoal smoker features a fire access door to seal the chamber.
Built with two porcelain-coated grates, the smoker offers a generous cooking surface. You will enjoy up to 370 square inches of cooking space. At the bottom, the smoker features high tensile steel tube legs for accessible height. Its removable ash pan on the other end makes cleanups quicker and faster.
- 16-inch size
- Dual porcelain coated cooking grated
- Lid mounted temperature gauge
- Porcelain-coated body
- Ultra-lightweight construction
- Lightweight body makes it easy to move and transport to anywhere
- Dual door design allows you to access the charcoal area without interfering with the smoking chamber
- Extremely accurate temperature gauge
- Porcelain-coated body improves its appearance, strength, and durability
- The removable ash pan makes cleaning easy and fast
- The charcoal bowl is not of good quality
5. Pellet Pro 2300 Vertical Pellet Smoker
Using the Pellet Pro 2300 vertical pellet smoker, you can cater to an incredibly large crowd. For family gatherings, small events, and even a small catering gig, this is a perfect option. The smoker boasts four large cooking grates. These grates give you a total of 2300 square inches of cooking space. Furthermore, each grate can accommodate up to 35 lbs. of weight.
Furthermore, the smoker comes with a divider. The divider allows you to have two separate heat zones – for different food types. The adjustable top vents on the other end allow you to control the amount of heat and smoke you want.
- 42-inch size
- 18 gauge double-walled construction
- 2 separate heat zones
- Adjustable top vents
- Adjustable top vent and reverse flow style side vent for improved air circulation
- Heat resistant door seals protect against burning your hands
- Comes with a divider for two separate heat zones
- Automatic re-light feature if temperature drops
- Fitted with a 3200RPM burn pit convention fan
- Exclusive PID controller maintains temperature within a 5 and 10 degree set point
- Takes up a lot of space
What To Look For When Choosing The Best Vertical Pellet Smoker
You must consider several key factors when choosing the best vertical pellet smoker. Doing so helps you to choose the right unit for your needs.
Different pellet smokers are built from different materials. You want to choose the material that guarantees increased strength and durability. Yet, you will not only choose the body material but also the cooking grate material. For a cooking grate, you want the material to boast heat-retaining qualities. Furthermore, you want the material to be corrosion resistant for the most efficiency.
The best vertical pellet smokers are made from porcelain-coated material or steel. Cast iron and aluminum aren’t bad choices either. For cooking grates, you want to opt for steel or cast iron. This is because they offer better strength and heat retention qualities.
Size and Capacity
Before you buy a smoker, you want to know if it boasts the right size and capacity. You can find out this information by looking at the features. For small to average-sized family, the best vertical pellet smoker measure at least 16 to 20 inches. For a larger family, you want a size higher. In addition to the size, the capacity tells you exactly how much you will get per session.
The cooking space is generally expressed through square inches. Pellet smokers for large groups boast cooking space of at least 600 square inches. For a smaller family or a couple, you should aim lower. For an average sized family, the ideal cooking are is at least 400 to 500 square inches.
Besides the cooking size and capacity, you must examine the size and weight. This information is important for storage purposes and functionality as well. For example, if you plan on using your smoker during campaign trips – a lighter and smaller model is better. Ideally, the best vertical pellet smoker for camping should weigh more than 25 lbs.
A good example of such as smoker is Weber Smoker. But, if you have a large family, a larger smoker is better – since you don’t have to worry about moving the smoker around. Such smokers are also great is you love to host.
Another factor to consider is the temperature rating. For example, if you plan on searing your meat, you want a higher temperature rating. For searing, the ideal temperature rating is 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
But, if you are smoking tender meats such as poultry or fish a low rate is fine. A temperature rating of only 400 degrees Fahrenheit is ideal. Yet, if you intend to slow and low cook, the temperature rating is an issue worth noting.
Why Use A Vertical Pellet Smoker?
Vertical pellet smokers are normally used for smoking meats, fish, vegetables, and cheese. However, there is also a reason why many pit masters choose vertical pellet smokers. This is because these types of smokers naturally facilitate the rise of heat and smoke.
This is because these types of smokers feature the heating chamber at the bottom and vents at the top. This mechanism allows the smoker your food to have a deep mouthwatering smoky flavor.
Q: Which Is Better – A Horizontal Pellet Smoker Or Vertical Pellet Smoker?
A: It depends on how you intend to use the smoker. If you want to use the smoker for smoking purposes only, a vertical one is better. A vertical smoker produces an excellent smoky flavor to your food. But, you cannot use it to grill. Using a horizontal pellet smoker on the other end, you can grill, bake, smoke, and broils.
Q: How Do I Clean A Vertical Pellet Smoker?
A: To clean your pellet smoker, empty the leftover charcoal and ashes first. Then, wash the ashtrays and grates using mild dishwashing soap, water, and a soft-bristle brush. After washing, let them dry before you assemble the smoker. Ideally, you want to wash the smoker after every use.
Q: Is A Pellet Smoker Better Than An Electric or Gas Smoker?
A: If you want that authentic deep and smoky flavor on your food – a pellet smoker is way to go. Electric smokers are much more efficient to use. But, they don’t leave that rich, smoky flavor on your food. You can check also the list of electric smokers under $200.
If you want to enjoy authentic smoky flavors on your food, you know what to get. The best vertical pellet smoker is what you need. Not only do these cooking gems present you with the best tasting smoking flavor food. But, their design helps to promote the right smoking environment. Thus, guaranteeing succulent and mouthwatering dishes.
Our top pick is the Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker. This versatile pellet smoker is adequately sized for an average-sized family. Its lightweight body on the other end makes it easy to move. It is a perfect choice whether you want to take it camping with you or simply smoke some brisket on your balcony. If you have a large family or want to host friends, our second best pick is the Dyna-Glo Vertical Pellet Smoker.